Wondering which type of personal trainer lead magnets have had the best success for businesses like yours? Listed below are the 5 top trending lead magnet types for your industry.
Cheat Sheets, Checklists and Listicles
Cheat sheets help people save time, money and sometimes their sanity. Use them to teach your ideal clients how to do something better, faster, cheaper, etc. This will quickly build credibility and have them looking to you as an authority or a trusted guide.
PROS: Super easy lead magnets to create! They demonstrate your knowledge and help your audience get results. They are great for the first step in a funnel.
CONS: They are widespread, so a bit overdone. Come up with something truly unique, from a creative angle or for an untapped niche.
- In-Person personal trainers are typically confined by their location – serving those within a set region. This doesn’t have to be a limitation in business, however. You can create Top 10 Cheat Sheets or Listicles of:
- The healthiest places to eat in your area (or 40km surrounds)
- The best locations for 5/10 km walk
- Places to go for family fit day trips
- Warmup routines to do so they are prepped before their session
- Cheat meal alternatives eg If Not This Then That food/drink alternatives to keep on track
- Pick an important step of your signature system you take clients through. Use that as the topic of your lead magnet. That way there is a “next step” for your audience to take after they get their initial results.
- Similar to ebooks, increase the perceived value of your cheat sheet or checklist by making it look gorgeous with professional graphic design. Yes, content matters. But potential customers will develop an attitude about your business and service based on the appearance of your marketing activities. Include your brand elements so it matches your website. If you’re a DIY’er, check out Canva for some nice templates or hire someone to pretty it up!
Quizzes are fun and can be created quickly. They can range from simple quizzes to in-depth assessments. The information entered and the results also give you valuable insight into your lead demographics.
PROS: We all love to learn about ourselves! Personality quizzes or self-assessments are a great way to intrigue your ideal clients. They are quick and easy to create and quick and easy for your audience to consume delivering immediate results.
CONS: Quizzes have been very popular so some people may be sick of them. Overcome this by ensuring the quiz answers a burning question or resolves a common problem amongst your ideal clients. Make sure the topic of the quiz is relevant to your brand and that it guides your leads on to the next step in your funnel.
- Self-assessments particularly lend themselves well to personal trainers and health consultants. People take on your services because there is something about themselves they want to improve. So they are already in the headspace of assessing where they are at and what needs to be changed.
- So much happens on the mobile now, so make sure your quiz is easy to take on a mobile device.
- Lock the results for your quiz behind an email opt-in so your quiz is an effective list building tool.
- Keep the language in your quiz positive to build a good rapport. If your lead doesn’t get a high score on your quiz, still tell them how fantastic they are. Then show how they can get better results by doing X, Y, and Z.
- You can send each participant to a customized results page. You can even create a personalized call to action to take the next step in your funnel depending on the results they got.
Calendars and Planners
Think about workout calendars, fitness journey planners, meal planners, even your training sessions as a calendar with complimenting workout routines, diet plans. Calendars offer prepared “do this / then” insights that people like as it helps them save time.
PROS: They can be supplied in both a digital and printed format.
CONS: Can be time-consuming to set up. If set to specific days/dates then they are limited to the current year.
- help your audience access workout routines so they don’t have to think about what exercises to do each day.
- team these up with video samples of how to “do it right” for added value or as an upsell
Swipe Files are a collection of effective, successful, well created “what evers” depending on your niche. Swipe files are about providing inspiration and saving time.
PROS: They can be quick to create as you are using content created from other sources. It can just consist of those images/files, you don’t have to add extra content of your own.
CONS: As they are collected from other sources be wary of potential copyright infringements.
- A personal trainers swipe file might be:
- A collection of your most recommended workouts that achieve specific results.
- A collection of your go-to juice ups or pre and post workout protein smoothies.
- A collection of before and after photos of your successful clientele
- An assortment of fave fitness fashions for inspiration
- You must have tools of fitness that should be a part of every home gym
- An assortment of protein shake or smoothie recipes
- They are usually a collection of resources sourced elsewhere, so be wary of potential copyright infringements.
- Because they are often collected from varying sources, you can usually get away with them being less visually appealing or varied in appearance.
Challenges are an excellent means of growing the lead lists of fitness coaches and personal trainers. It has quickly become a favourite personal trainer lead magnet. They can also be used as a way of extending your reach beyond your physical locality. Depending on how you build your challenge, participants do not even need to be near you to participate.
Challenges are a time sensitive activity with a desired goal as the outcome. 7, 14, 21, 30-day challenges are common. Team your challenge with a private Facebook group to foster involvement amongst participants, build relationships, and develop an encouraging environment to achieve the goals.
They are also a fantastic way of building your brand and utilising the internet and social media to grow your reach. Give your challenge a unique point of difference, a catchy name, and some inspirational imagery and you could be on the same journey as the hugely successful Tone It Up girls.
PROS: Challenges are great for generating enthusiasm and building motivation towards achieving a goal. They are also the perfect tool for building a community around a particular niche. When successfully completed they are great lead-ins to a bigger goal.
CONS: Keeping the motivation so people reach their goals is critical. It can be time-consuming to moderate the flow of questions when incorporating a Facebook group, so plan your content ahead of time so you can focus on interacting with your audience during the event.
- Think the 5-day detox, 8-week bikini body, 10 days of toning > obviously keep it realistic where results are achievable.
- Challenges are fantastic for building a community around your specific niche.
- They can be run as part of your in-person boot camps and training sessions or held distinctly in the online space. In fact, online Challenges are what enable you to grow your business beyond your locality.
- Create a private Facebook group to make it easy for participants to engage with each other, ask questions, and get to know you. This also helps build “content” as they build discussions and support with each other.
- Consider limiting the number of participants to help make it manageable. This also builds in a scarcity factor which is a common technique to encourage sign-ups.
- Use Facebook Live Videos within the group to help your audience get to know you and develop trust.
Leverage your email platform to send out updates and resources to guide your participants through the challenge.
Which would be your number one from this list of personal trainer lead magnets? I’d love to hear your opinion, or help you brainstorm the best lead magnet for your personal training business. But, Guess What?! There’s more! That’s why I created the Lead Magnet Playbook. It further details 20 of the most popular lead magnets.
Are you ready to take your Personal Trainer Lead Magnets SERIOUSLY?
Well those are our top picks of personal trainer lead magnets, BUT there are a whole lot more possibilities. That’s why we have created the Lead Magnet Playbook that gives more information on 20 different lead magnets and more insight into how you can use lead magnets in your personal training business. Click here to get your copy. But Lead Magnets are just one part of a bigger engine. So we have also created a Guide to Unlimited Leads. It outlines the 4 steps you need to take to start building your list of leads starting today. Get access to Unlimited Leads here.